Large 5m diameter vessels with heavy schedule 120mm plate thickness pipe required holes and weld preparations to be made for the nozzles. Normally, a weld prep would be flame cut and then hand ground to the required angle or profile.
Mirage developed a system to mechanically cut the weld profile on the vessel.
For the weld prep, the VNWP1000 machine was mounted onto the vessel using the magnetic mounts and the cutter was stepped manually down in 8mm steps and rotated with the head capable of being set at the required angle to enable 95% completion of the profile.
The project was completed successfully and since this case study Mirage have developed a completely autonomous CNC gantry milling system to cut and prep the hole, with features listed below:
– PC software controlled with user friendly program interface
– Industrial standard servo driven axis controls
– Cut and profile at the same setting
– No requirement for “flame cutting”
– Quick chain clamp mounting
– Any angle operation
– Covers any nozzle diameter up to 1m in any vessel diameter
– Profile tools available for J’ preps.